Friday, August 10, 2007

a new dessert cafe

Tonight I went to a new dessert cafe called Cafe Zen with Victor, Brian, and Amy. Cafe Zen is located in Fremont's Pacific Commons, on Boscell Road. Of course, it was Victor who discovered it. When I was driving there, I realized how large Pacific Commons has become--it is now no less than three whole blocks, and it took me a while just to find the place. The cafe was smallish, but very new and clean. There were only about three or four other people there, so it made for a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. The four of us were the biggest and loudest party of people there. Almost everyone else was either surfing on the Web (Cafe Zen has free wireless internet access) or conversing quietly. It is not a bad place for me to head back to myself with a laptop and a book.

Food consists of drinks and desserts, mostly, though there were also several entrees that were more substantial. I had the "dulce de leche grand teton". It was very caramel-y and sweet. The matcha smoothie I got was also underwhelming. My conclusion is that Cafe Zen has okay fare but a good atmosphere.

We ended up spending a whole two-and-a-half hours going over photos from Jason and Maggie's pre-wedding party last weekend to pick out the ones for the photo album we're giving them. It took a long time, but it was satisfying too. Victor showed me his Canon lenses (a wide-angle prime lens and a telephoto zoom lens). I liked the wide-angle lens, but a zoom lens is really needed for shooting a wedding. The telephoto zoom lens made me feel like I was ready to shoot wildlife in Botswana. Very nice.

I also borrowed a couple of oooold Hong Kong movies from Brian. I wonder what they are like...

No comments: